About Sailos

Visit Us

1 Macquarie Street, Taree NSW 2430

The Club was officially formed and affiliated with the Vaucluse Amateur Sailing Association in 1946, as the parent body was then called.

The first official home of the Manning River Vee-Ess Sailing Club was at the North Coast Steam Navigation Co’s wharf shed, adjacent to the Martin Bridge.

In January 1947 the Vee-Jay Club was formed and was also housed in the wharf shed. Boat storage was then becoming a problem. In 1950 we decided to build a club shed at the foot of Macquarie Street. With the help of our bank which advanced us $600.00, we built the shed with voluntary labour. This clubhouse, when completed, served as our home for eight years.

In 1957 our increasing fleet numbers and membership indicated that again we would have to do something regarding a larger clubhouse. In 1958, after receiving a Conditional Club Licence and a loan from our bank, plus the sale of debentures, we commissioned our builder to go ahead and build the first section of the brick building that we occupy today. The building was completed in December 1958.

By 1962 it was obvious that further additions would be necessary in the near future. Planning and building commenced and they were officially opened on 8 November 1968 by Mr Bill Northam.

At this time it would be fitting, not to forget the great debt of gratitude the members of this Club owe to those early founders in 1945-46, who worked hard and willingly to make this Club what it is today, and especially we owe a great deal to the Ladies Auxiliary formed in those early days, who have been a tower of strength to the Club over the years.

In 1976 the Club had the opportunity to purchase the property on the western side of Macquarie Street, adjacent to the Club. The property was purchased, but was sold again in the late eighties. It was then purchased again in the mid nineties and will now become part of the Club’s expansion in the near future.

At the 1988/89 AGM the name of the Club was changed to the Taree Aquatic Club, so as to cover a wider membership.

The first major extensions for some years were completed in 1999, with a new entrance and foyer, plus new offices.

Over the next few years the clubs profitability was driven by the very successful nightclub that operated on Saturday nights. While the night club was financially successful, other areas of the club where not as profitable as they should have been and in 2003 a decision was made to change the way the club was managed and return to a focus on service, fine food and membership. This proved to be a turning point for the club.

Since 2003 the club has enjoyed record profits and membership, gained a reputation for fine food and customer service and redeveloped the club to improve the facilities for members.

In 2007 stage 1 of our capital redevelopment program was completed incorporating a larger and refurbished gaming room, larger and refurnished lounge and dining areas and a relocation of the northern fire escape and toilet facilities to the Macquarie Street side of the club. The existing balcony at the front of the club was extended and enclosed and a new balcony was constructed at the northern end of the club. The clubs offices and meeting rooms were moved to the cottage at 2 Macquarie Street to free up valuable space for members facilities.

In 2010 stage 2 was completed and incorporated a new kitchen, new toilet facilities and storage rooms and a further improved vista of the river.

The club you visit today offers stunning views of the Manning River from wherever you may be in the club, facilities second to none for a club of its size, fine food, friendly service and an assurance that when ever you visit the club, you’ll leave wanting to come back again and again.